How is homemade organic pomegranate molasses made?
Pomegranate molasses is widely used especially in salad and meze varieties. Pomegranate molasses varieties, which are often purchased, can often contain different chemicals such as thickeners, sweeteners, and colorants. This means that no real pomegranate molasses is actually bought. You can taste all-natural pomegranate molasses by making your own pomegranate molasses, even if it's a little inconvenient. You can understand the difference in taste much better in this way. Here are the tricks to making organic pomegranate molasses.
How to Make Pomegranate Molasses?
Homemade organic pomegranate molasses require 20 kilograms of pomegranate if you intend to use it for a long time. The genuine pomegranate molasses production, which has stages such as cleaning, squeezing, and cooking. It, therefore, consists of many processes. These processes are listed as follows:
- First, you should wash the pomegranates thoroughly and clean the visible membranes by splitting them in half.
- You should use a citrus juicer to squeeze the juice from the cleaned pomegranates. You can also do this by crushing pomegranates, but it makes your job much easier to take advantage of the citrus juicer as it will take a very long time and will be inconvenient.
- You should transfer the pomegranate juice to a steel pot and start boiling after squeezing the juice of all pomegranates.
- The continuously boiling pomegranate juice reaches the consistency of molasses at the end of 3-3.5 hours and becomes suitable for pomegranate molasses.
- Foams will form when boiling pomegranate juice; you need to remove these foams occasionally with a strainer. You should stir occasionally when checking pomegranate juice to reduce foam formation.
- Now you can fill the pomegranate juice, which has become dark and pomegranate molasses, into sterilized dry bottles.
- Finally, you should tightly cap the bottles filled with pomegranate molasses with dry lids for later use.
Where to Make Pomegranate Molasses?
You can make pomegranate molasses in your home in completely natural ways as long as you have enough amount of pomegranates. However, pomegranate molasses, which you often buy from markets, are produced in factories, packaged, and placed on grocery shelves after mixing with chemicals such as thickeners, sweeteners, and colorants that accelerate the production process and boiling over high heat. Jr. SousChef creates an entirely natural alternative by producing unfiltered organic pomegranate molasses instead of this unhealthy, tasteless, and nutrient-depleting production method.
Pomegranates grown without using any chemical products in the Aegean's pomegranate gardens specially reserved for organic agriculture are collected in the season and brought to the production center. Here, pomegranate juice is allowed to evaporate up to 70 Brix under a vacuum at 56°C. The reason why this process is done without boiling is that the traditional boiling method largely destroys the nutritional values in pomegranate. This situation is eliminated by the vacuum method and pomegranate juice with both natural and nutritional values is produced.
How Many Kilos of Pomegranate Do You Need for Pomegranate Molasses?
Even a small bottle of organic pomegranate molasses can require quite high proportions of pomegranate. You can as many kilos of pomegranate as you want to make molasses considering that approximately 1 liter of pomegranate molasses can be produced from every 10 kilograms. You can use pomegranate molasses for a long time due to its dense consistency even if high proportions of pomegranate are required for a small amount of pomegranate molasses, as you can imagine.
It is of great importance that pomegranate molasses is completely natural and has high nutritional values regardless of its amount. One of the strongest antioxidants, pomegranate molasses, loses its naturalness with chemical additives and its nutritional values during production in factories, meaning that it cannot have the nutritional values from pomegranates. Therefore, you need to pay special attention to the fact that the pomegranate molasses you will make at home or buy is completely natural.